Spiritual Formation/Prayer and Retreat Ministries
Spiritual Formation is...
- What happens when we accept God's invitation to draw near and allow God's Spirit to form who we are and guide what we do.
- This life-long process, of being conformed to the image of Christ, is the gracious working of the Holy Spirit.
- There are many ways to respond to God’s love and invitation and many different avenues of Spiritual Formation.
- Our willingness to be open to God
- Us to set our intention be open to the Holy Spirit
- In other words, we have to want it.
- It needs to become a priority for us or it will not happen
- Giving the controls to God
Spiritual Disciplines are...
- Practices that we engage in that help us to respond to God’s invitation.
- John Wesley called them “means of grace” because the disciplines themselves cannot change us, but they offer a way to participate in the grace that is available for Spiritual growth.
- Study or Spiritual Reading
- Works of Mercy - Service
- Worship including participation in the Sacraments
- Spiritual Direction
The Conference Spiritual Formation Team
- Exists to encourage and foster Spiritual Formation within our Annual Conference.
- Our goals are to:
1. Advocate and highlight the importance of Spiritual Formation in the life to the Conference
2. Serve as a resource for individuals, groups, churches, etc. in identifying and locating resources.